Wilmer J. Harris
Mr. Harris graduated from Stanford University in 1986 with an A.B. degree in Economics, with Distinction, and Honors in Humanities. He was elected to membership in Phi Beta Kappa in 1985.
Mr. Harris graduated from UCLA School of Law in 1990, earning Order of the Coif honors and American Jurisprudence Awards in Evidence, Moot Court and Remedies.
Mr. Harris worked as Law Clerk to the Honorable David W. Williams for one year after my law school graduation. Mr. Harris entered private practice thereafter, practicing business litigation for two years with the law firms Kaye, Scholer, Fierman, Hays & Handler and Blanc, Williams, Johnston & Kronstadt.
In January 1994, Mr. Harris joined the Law Offices of Johnnie L. Cochran, Jr. His practice area changed dramatically as he began representing clients in civil rights cases, including Reginald Denny.
In August 1995, Mr. Harris joined the firm (named Schonbrun De Simone Seplow Harris Hoffman & Harrison in 2010) where he has concentrated primarily on the representation of employees in disputes with employers and individuals in civil rights cases.
In November 1999, Mr. Harris opened the South Pasadena office of the firm where he remains the resident partner.
Mr. Harris has garnered several settlements in excess of $1 million in civil rights cases. In July 2004, Mr. Harris secured a $1.6 million judgment (including attorney’s fees and costs) against Boeing Satellite Systems. In August 2006, Mr. Harris secured a judgment of over $1.7 million (including fees and costs).
Mr. Harris has given employment law presentations at seminars for the Los Angeles County Bar Association, the State Bar Labor & Employment Section and the American Bar Association. In February 2003, Mr. Harris was one of the speakers at the Los Angeles County Bar Association Nuts and Bolts Seminars regarding employment law. In November 2004, Mr. Harris spoke at the California State Bar Labor & Employment Section’s Annual Conference.
Mr. Harris has presented at the California Employment Lawyers Association (“CELA”) Annual Conference in September 2006 and October 2010; and at the Los Angeles County Bar Association Dinner meeting in November 15, 2006. Mr. Harris spoke at the American Bar Association Annual Conference in San Francisco in August 2007. Since joining the Labor & Employment Executive Committee, Mr. Harris regularly speaks at their Annual Conferences. Mr. Harris was one of two attorneys who summarized the developments in California employment law in 2007 at the 2008 Los Angeles County Bar Annual Symposium.
Mr. Harris has been selected as a “Southern California Super Lawyer” by Los Angeles Magazine for several years.
Mr. Harris currently serves on the Board of Directors of the California Employment Lawyers Association and Disability Rights Legal Services.
In 2005, Mr. Harris was selected to sit on the California State Bar Labor & Employment Executive Committee. He is currently the Chair of the State Bar Labor & Employment Section for the 2010-2011 term.
Areas of Practice
- Civil Rights
- University of California at Los Angeles School of Law, Los Angeles, California - 1990
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- Honors: American Jurisprudence Awards in Evidence
- Honors: Moot Court and Remedies
- Stanford University
- A.B. - 1986
- Honors: With Distinction
- Honors: Honors in Humanities
- Major: Economics
- 30th Annual Labor and Employment Law Symposium: Getting Choosy: How to Find (and be) the Right Neutral for the Job, Los Angeles County Bar Association, March 31, 2010
- Panel Presentation, Loyola Law School, April 14, 2010
- Wage & Hour Annual Update, California State Bar Annual Meeting, September 24, 2010
- Ensuring Equal Access to Legal Services for Clients with Disabilities, (CELA) - 2010 Annual CELA Conference, October 1, 2010
- The Golden Age of Golden Parachutes, Langston Law Institute, December 3, 2010
- The Perils of PAGA: Representation under the Private Attorney General Act, California State Bar Labor and Employment Section, March 13, 2009
- California False Claims Act and Whistleblower Cases, NELA, June 26, 2009
- Eliminating Barriers for Lawyers with Disabilities, California State Bar Labor and Employment Section, February 8, 2008
- 28th Annual Labor and Employment Law Symposium: Year in Review, Los Angeles County Bar Association, March 6, 2008
- Workplace Privacy: Real or Imagined, California State Bar Labor and Employment Section, November 1, 2008
- Panel Presentation, Loyola Law School, November 20, 2008
Honors and Awards
- "Southern California Super Lawyer", Los Angeles Magazine for Several Years
- Phi Betta Kappa
Professional Associations and Memberships
- California Employment Lawyers Association (CELA), Member of the Board of Directors
- Disability Rights Legal Center (DRLC), Member of the Board of Directors
- California State Bar Labor & Employment Section
- National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA)
- Consumer Attorney?s Association of Los Angeles (CAALA)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association (LACBA)
- John M. Langston Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- The Hon. David W. Williams, Law Clerk
- Kaye, Scholer, Fierman, Hays & Handler
- Blanc, Williams, Johnston & Kronstadt
- Law Offices of Johnnie L. Cochran