Our Results Speak For Themselves
For over 20 years, the attorneys at Schonbrun Seplow Harris Hoffman & Zeldes, LLP have leveled the playing field by advocating on behalf of individuals whose civil and human rights are violated. The firm is proud to have all four named partners on the Southern California Super Lawyers list.
The firm’s recent results reflect its tradition of excellence:
- $36 million, $17 million, $16 million, $10.5 million and $5 million class-action settlements for unlawful wage-and-hour practices.
- A $1.2 million wrongful-death settlement against the city of Inglewood based on the unlawful use of excessive force.
- A precedent-setting 9th Circuit published decision in Xue Lu et al. v. United States of America, establishing that an asylum officer acted in the course and scope of employment when he extorted and harassed asylum applicants.
- Paul Hoffman was nominated for Trial Lawyer of the Year by The American Association for Justice.
- Attorney Wilmer Harris was recently appointed the State Bar of California’s chair of the labor and employment executive committee.
The success the firm achieved throughout the past year is no surprise, given its proven track record of obtaining justice for its clients. Its team of motivated plaintiffs’ lawyers has earned a highly respected reputation in key areas of the law, including employment, civil rights, personal injury and international human rights. The firm’s reputation is enhanced by its long, successful of-counsel association with distinguished constitutional lawyer Erwin Chemerinsky.
Verdicts And Settlements
The firm has obtained numerous large verdicts and settlements for its clients in cutting-edge areas of the law. Some highlights include:
- Sanders Lee v. N.Y. State Department of Correctional Services, et al. – A $3.75 million settlement by Benjamin Schonbrun and Michael Seplow on behalf of a mentally disabled Los Angeles resident falsely imprisoned for two years in a New York State penitentiary. The case resulted in a published decision and a cover story in The New York Times Magazine.
- Gibbs v. Boeing Satellite Systems – A $1.8 million judgment after jury verdict and successful appeal by Wilmer Harris for retaliation against an employee under the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA).
- Wasserman v. Pampered Chef – A $2.6 million settlement in a products liability case for a woman who suffered a reflex sympathetic dystrophy injury after cutting her finger on a defective ceramic serving dish.
- Snider v. Laquer Urban Clifford & Hodge LLP – A $1.1 million jury verdict by Wilmer Harris on behalf of an attorney who was subjected to disability discrimination.
- Brown v. City of Hawthorne – A $1 million settlement of a civil rights/wrongful death case against the city of Hawthorne’s police department.
- Jenkins v. Archdiocese of Los Angeles – A summary judgment in favor of a blind teacher against the Los Angeles Archdiocese for violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Mogilefsky v. Silver Pictures – A precedent-setting case that resulted in the first published California decision to recognize that same-sex harassment violated the California Fair Employment and Housing Act.
Contact a Lawyer Today
To see whether your case qualifies for an initial consultation with Schonbrun Seplow Harris Hoffman & Zeldes, LLP, call 310-396-0731 or send us an email. We will promptly let you know whether your case qualifies for a consultation with one of our lawyers.
The firm represents clients in the Los Angeles area and throughout Southern California.