Class Action Litigation For Consumers
At Schonbrun Seplow Harris Hoffman & Zeldes, LLP, our attorneys represent clients in California and throughout the world in complex consumer class-actions.
What Is A Consumer Class Action?
A consumer class-action claim is a civil lawsuit brought by a defrauded consumer or small group of defrauded consumers on behalf of a larger group of consumers who have been harmed in a similar manner.
In a consumer class action, multiple people purchased the same product or service (and/or have been exposed to the same practice) and suffered similar injuries. Rather than bringing many individual lawsuits against the same manufacturer, retailer or entity, a class action provides the opportunity to combine the multiple cases into a single class and bring one unified lawsuit. Potentially any practice that violates the law on a wide scale can be the subject of a class action lawsuit.
At Schonbrun Seplow Harris Hoffman & Zeldes, LLP, our attorneys handle a wide range of consumer class-action claims, including but not limited to ones involving:
- False or deceptive labeling (and advertising) that can mislead consumers about what they are buying (woke washing, green washing, ethical/sustainability claims, health claims, properties promised but not present in the products, BPA free, PFA/PFOAs, low carb/high protein claims);
- Consumer banking, lending, overdraft charges;
- Hidden fees or costs that are not properly disclosed;
- Bait and switch claims;
- Bogus university claims;
- Privacy violations, which can expose consumers to targeted marketing without their consent and other serious problems;
- Data breaches, which can expose customers to theft, credit fraud and other serious problems;
- Insurance fraud (discrimination in underwriting, redlining, kickback schemes);
- Product defect litigation (dangerous products, products not working as advertised);
- Elder abuse/senior fraud;
- Tax payer claims;
- Public interest claims;
- Mass torts;
- Environmental and climate change;
- Constitutional claims;
- Human rights claims;
- Employment class actions